tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 19:21:06 1998

Re: Unofficial words (Was: Re puqpu')

qaD peHruS:
>Meanwhile, I put onto my wish list, allowing you folks to submit ideas you can
>construct from pre-existing canon words:

Most of these are trivial, and a few are already in either TKD or KGT.  I
suspect I don't know what you mean by some of them.  Maybe you've got some
context in mind; without it, I'm not likely to express what you wanted.

--

>gills (n)        - bIQ taghDu'.
>fins (n)         - bIQDep ghamHey, bIQDep lolSeHcha
>be curved (sv)   - SIH
>be straight (sv) - SIHbe'
>reflect (v)      - ghoSHa'moH
>vibrate (v)      - nom joqtaH, yu'eghmey tlhuD, yu'egh Da
>pressure (n/v)   - yuv, 'uy
>wind up (v)      - Huj, rInmoHlI'
>wind around (v)  - I don't understand what this means in English.
                    {qat} perhaps?
>saw for cutting (n), saws (v) - peghwI', Ho'Du'Hey ghajbogh taj
>corner (n)       - Dop jej
>sew (v); stitch (v); seam together (v) - tay'moHmeH SIrgh lo'
>current (n)      - vIHtaHbogh bIQ
>pocket, pigeonhole, niche - DaqHom
>be slippery      - char
>bead, droplet    - I don't know what you mean by putting these two together.
>interval         - poH
>flame            - qul
>branch, twig, tributary - Pick one and I'll think about it.
>ashes            - qul pugh
>sperm            - This would take a paragraph to describe well.
>comb (n/v)       - jIb ghIHHa'moHwI', jIb ghIHHa'moH
 >dip into        - loQ vay'Daq lan; lel
>towel, napkin    - QaDmoHmeH nav
>chip, shard      - chuvwI'Hom
>twist, wring     - tap 'ej tlhe'moH
>arrange, arrangement (v/n) - nungmoH, tlham
>roll (v)         - DIng, DIngmoH (depending on what you mean)
>bounce (v)       - Context, please?
                    I can think of about four different things you might mean.
>hook (n/v)       - baS nItlhHey, 'uchchoH, Suq
>reach for (I claim {SIch} means "reach to") - SIch 'e' nID
>be narrow        - lang
>be wide          - langHa'
>knob, dial, button - leQ, SeHlawHom, ruQwI'
>haze, mist (SeS ???) - SeSHey, SeS bIr
>cast, mould (v)  - Hew chenmoH
>fasten (v)       - rar, SoQmoH
>halo, corona     - gho wov
>plough (v/n)     - Du'vaD vum, Qargh chenmoH
>brew (v)         - vut, bIQDaq Qenvob tujmoH
>degree (n)       - Which of at least three different degrees do you mean?
>stain, mar, spot (v/n) - nguvmoH
>axis, spindle (n) - botlh
>axle (n)         - DIngbogh gho botlh
>summit (n)       - HuD nach, HuD Dung
>foot of mountain/cliff (n) - HuD HeH, qoj bIng
>chain (n)        - mIr
>cement, mortar, caulk (n) - nagh tay'moHwI'
>be beyond        - veb
>needle (n)       - tajtIq machqu'
>scab (n)         - reghpu'bogh DIr
>scar (n)         - DIr QIDlu'pu'bogh
>seed (n)         - naH 'ay' pochlu'bogh
>traverse, cross over (v) - vegh
>plasma (n)       - 'Iw bIQ
>surface of anything other than a planet (n) - HeH, veH, Hur
>weave, spin (v)  - Sut chenmoH, tlhegh chenmoH, SIrgh chenmoH
>include (v)      - tlhejmoH
>be aslant (sv)   - taH
>tip, point, end (n) - nItlhpach
>brush (v)        - ngoH, Sach
>slide, glide (v) - vIH, nech
>root (n)         - 'oQqar
>map (n)          - He cha'wI'
>overhang (v)     - qoj Dung
>adhere (v)       - Hum
>scratch (v)      - nan, loQ nan
>bridge, span (n) - Dung He
>ridges (anat)    - Quch
>exceed (v)       - nIv
>copy, transcribe (v) - ghItlhqa', qonqa'
>pulse (n)        - tInchoHtaH 'ej machchoHtaH
>nucleus (n)      - botlh
>dig, excavate, uncover (v) - lam nge', nagh nge'
>lining (n)       - qoD
>molecule (n)     - Hapvam mach law' Hoch mach puS
>beam, rafter (n) - tut SaS
>tractor beam     - luHbogh HoS chem, jonbogh HoS chem
>stem (n)         - tI ro
>frame, outline (n) - I don't know what you mean with these together.
>stalk (n)        - tI ro
>curtain, membrane (n) - I decided years ago to accept the lack of a word
                    for "curtain", and I'm not really sure what you mean by
                    "membrane" here.
>evidence, signs, traces, vestiges (n) - De' (I doubt there's one word for
                     all the meanings you're trying to pack into it)
>grandson, granddaughter (n) - puq puqloD, puq puqbe'
>feather (n)      - puvmeH ghISDenHey
>be tame, be wild (sv) - tay, jot, jIj; tayHa', qu', tlhol
>deflect (v)      - way'

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level