tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 19:28:29 1998

Re: Compound nouns

>> In case of the greek prefix  << philo >> - friend, lover
>> eg.: philharmonic (friends/lovers of harmony).
>> Can I use: jupSov - philosopher  ?
>
>I'd think Sovjup makes more sense: "knowledge's friend", rather than
>"friend's knowledge".

If you used either word without including this explaination, I would never
have come up with [philosopher].

To find out if you can use a particular compound or phrase, try writing a
message using it, and ask people what they think you're talking about.  If
they guess correctly, then you can use it.  If people can't figure it out,
then don't use it.

DloraH
www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro
(last updated: 31 Dec 97)