tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 23:24:32 1998

Re: {-meH} and its useage

'eQ asked:

>>I just wondered how it would look like if a {-meH} phrase would modify a
>>verb, especially if both the {-meH} phrase *and* the other verb has both
>>subject and object.

Voragh explains:

>>HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el
>> To find ale, go into a bar. TKW
>>
>>[...and other examples...]

ghunchu'wI' answers:

>There's the answer.  While the clause with {-meH} must always precede
>what it modifies, it doesn't have to *immediately* precede it.  In these
>examples, it comes before the object of the sentence as well as the verb.

Isn't there a risk that one mixes up the subject of the {-meH} verb and
the object of the following verb, with a noun-noun construction?

/'eQ

--
  Bjorn X Oqvist     KLI(#H2014)       WCT(#491)
  [email protected]    http://www.bahnhof.se/~dark

Back to archive top level