tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 17 13:30:27 1995

Re: bogh SuvwI'

>Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 07:20:29 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Alan Anderson                        <[email protected]>

>cha'Hu' bogh be'ni'wI' puqloD.

majQa'!  SoHvaD wanI'vammo' jIQuchbej!  (and interesting handling "a son
was born to my sister")

>wej pong ghaj.
>javleS ghaHvaD pong luwIv be'ni'wI' loDnalDaj je.

jIyajchu'.  *Jew* jIH je (wa'logh ja' Qanqor: "*jIyID"), 'ej lalDanvetlhmo'
chorghHu' boghbogh puqloD pong noblu'.

>nem puS jup SuvlaHbogh ghaj pugloDwI'.

"puqloD", with a q.

>thlIngan Hol bom QongchoHmoHbogh vIneH. :-)

Word-order.  "I want a a Klingon language song that he/she/it puts to
sleep."  The song is the subject, it comes after the verb.  Maybe consider
using -meH?

>ben law' *Paramount*Daq HaStaHomvaD vIH thlIngan Data' vav chu'. (*)

The aspect doesn't look right.  "Many years ago, a new father had acted (on
purpose) like movie in Paramount."  Hmm, I guess I don't follow the meaning
either.  I think you'd want to drop the -ta' altogether, tho.

>ghuvaD thlIngan bom vIbom 'e' bepchugh wanI' qaw ghaH 'e' vItul.

Spelling here and above: tlhIngan, with the l before the h.

I'm a little lost...  Oh wait, I see.  I think it would make *lots* more
sense to put the bepchugh at the beginning of the sentence.  Putting it
after the 'e' is probably wrong, since it makes the 'e' look like the
object of bep, and a -chugh clause shouldn't intervene between a verb (qaw)
and its objecty ('e').  I also don't see how to fit wanI' into it.  Maybe:

SaQDI' ghuvaD tlhIngan bom vIbom 'e' qaw 'e' vItul.

>-- ghunchu'wI'

>(*) I think I'm on shaky ground here with {ben law'}.

Perhaps, but no worse than "nem puS".  It works for me.

>    I /know/ I have problems with {HaStavaD vIH}.
>    I want to say "movie" or "video" so I tried {HaSta vIH},
>    but when I translate back to English it comes out more
>    like "traveling TV set." :-(

Yeah, for me too.  "Moving picture" is definitely a hindsight word, and a
calque.

>    Since much (most?) canon comes from the ST movies, I
>    hope there is a preferred translation for "movie."
>    If there is, would someone please tell me what it is?

I dunno offhand...  Maybe just "lut"; it's the *story* that matters, not
the fact that it was on cellulloid.

~mark

Back to archive top level