tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 03 11:26:16 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] fiat justitia ruat coelum

On 9/3/2013 10:25 AM, Bellerophon, modeler wrote:
The Latin doesn't actually mean "Let justice be done, let the heavens
fall." Latin subjunctives don't have any fixed meaning. To translate it
literally, I'd put it "Justice be done, should the heavens fall." It is
in our power to do justice but not to control the heavens, so "let"
makes more sense with "justice be done." We use "let" with a sense of
irony when we say things like "Let it rain."

Can {-jaj} mean other than a wish that something happen? It could be
used ironically in a challenge I suppose, to translate something like
"Molon labe."

chaq pum Hovmey; SeHbe'lu'. ruv chavlu'.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/