tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 29 12:16:07 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Acts Chapter 2 in Klingon (vagh 'ay' wej)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qov:
> 21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call
>    on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
> 'ej qaS wanI'vam: Qun pong jachbogh nuv'e' toDlu'.
> And this event occurs: the person who calls out the name
>   of god will be rescued.

QeS:
> Given the context, I think {toD} here is fine. Might I alternately
> suggest {choq} "preserve, save"? In particular, I'm thinking of the
> following passage from TKW alongside its idiomatic English rendition:
>
>  wo' choqmeH may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'
>  ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat (TKW p.211)

Voragh:
> Two more examples of {choq} "preserve, save":
>
> wo' ngay' bochoqmeH bowIvlu'pu'!
> You have been chosen to preserve the glory of the Empire! (MKE)
>
> quvlIj vIchoq
> Your honor will be saved (PB)
>
> But as a non-Christian I have to ask: Saved from what specifically (in this passage)?

QeS:
> Upon reading it in context (as an agnostic I'm not intimately
> familiar with the Bible) I believe it refers to salvation from
> the damnation that's to be meted out to the wicked and sinful
> at the End of Days.

In that case either {toD} or {choq} seems fine with me.  {Qan} "protect" and {yoD} "shield" may also work.

Checking my notes, I see that *{toDwI'} has often been used for "savior, redeemer, messiah" - including the old Klingon Bible Translation Project (KBTP).  The phrase *{toDwI'ma' qoS yItIv[qu']} "Merry Christmas!" is sometimes seen here on the list as well, so {toD} has the advantage of being somewhat familiar.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons