tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 29 07:02:42 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Acts Chapter 2 in Klingon (vagh 'ay' wej)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
>>> 21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call
>>>    on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
>>> 'ej qaS wanI'vam: Qun pong jachbogh nuv'e' toDlu'.
>>> And this event occurs: the person who calls out the name
>>> of god will be rescued.

jang ghunchu'wI', jatlh:
>> I'm not sure {toD} is a good translation of σωθήσεται (sōthēsetai).
>> However, to substitute something like {qIchHa'} would probably put too
>> much emphasis on something that isn't the focus of the passage.

"un-condemn"?  Hmm... "justify" in the supernatural sense?  (The ancient Egyptians constantly referred to their dead as being *ma'a-kheru*, conventionally translated as "justified":  having passed the judgment of Osiris after their hearts had been weighed in the balance.)

We also have {DIv} "be guilty" and {chun} "be innocent" available -- suggesting *{DIvmoH} "convict" and *{chunmoH} "acquit" WRT trial verdicts.

qel QeS, jatlh:
> The problem here is that the Greek σώζω has a number of related senses:
> rescue, save, keep, preserve, keep in mind, adhere to a law. In Klingon
> these are rendered by a number of different verbs, and you have to pick
> one.  Given the context, I think {toD} here is fine.

Unfortunately there are no examples of {toD} "rescue, save" but we do have the noun {toD} "rescue" (no examples) and the compound {toDDuj} "rescue ship":

  vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'
  That means the Federation will be sending a rescue ship of its own. ST5

> Might I alternately suggest {choq} "preserve, save"? In particular,
> I'm thinking of the following passage from TKW alongside its idiomatic
> English rendition:
>
>   wo' choqmeH may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'
>   ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat (TKW p.211)

Two more examples of {choq} "preserve, save":

  wo' ngay' bochoqmeH bowIvlu'pu'!
  You have been chosen to preserve the glory of the Empire! (MKE)

  quvlIj vIchoq
  Your honor will be saved (PB)

But as a non-Christian I have to ask:  Saved from what specifically (in this passage)?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons