tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 21 13:36:18 2011

Re: Certification Tests

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is there a blurb available about the certification tests or a source
> of study material that I could link to for my qepHomnganpu'?

http://www.speers.nu/Holtej/klingon/klcp.htm describes the program and
links to information about what is on each level of testing. TKD is the only
source for Level 1, with a specific list of vocabulary.

> Has anyone put any thought into creating some easier levels?  I
> understand requiring actual competence in the language for
> certification, but maybe something casual learners could
> achieve?

I understand wanting to recognize those who are trying, but I don't see the
point in awarding any sort of "certification" to someone just because they
have a casual interest in learning Klingon. If a tangible symbol of such
interest is desired, the KLI pin probably fits the need, and the {chu'wI'}
"newcomer" level is assigned by default.

> Looking at Earthlings and beginner experience, it seems
> like even bronze is a pretty stiff bar for some.

I realize that merely urging someone to apply some effort to the task of
learning doesn't always work, but I feel that providing a lower bar is not a
proper solution. While it increases the count of people who can claim to
speak Klingon, it is not compatible with a goal of growing the number of
people who DO speak Klingon.

I don't accept that the problem is one of Klingon being too hard to learn.
It's just that effective opportunities to learn are sparse. Creating
a good successor to the Postal Course would probably be a better plan than
coming up with an easier test.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level