tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 06 01:49:42 2011

country names (was Re: tato'eba' ...)

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

we have discussed many times about transcribing or translating country
names and agreed not to do so.

First, the problem is that every language prounounces a name different,
like french *parIy* or english *perIS*.

second: if you want to "translate" a name (not only countries') into
Klingon, first think about how would you translate it into english? My
standard question for my students: What's "Pizza" in German?  :-)

third, if you try to translate its meaning - how can you be sure that
every one knows and understands this meaning? Many people in Europe
don't even know what USA stands for... or would you accept {ngangwI' Hol
Sep} for "Germany"?

jIlengtaHvIS, GermanyDaq jIleng. pa' Pizza vISop 'ej Cola vItlhutlh.
vIyajlu'bej 'ej moHbe' HolwIj.

Qapla'
   Lieven.

PS: please "like" this: