tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 04 07:13:52 2011

RE: targh wambogh tlhIngan

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
>> HuDHom ghIrpu' targh.  HuDHomvetlh ghIr qoreQ.

ghunchu'wI':
> (I never considered {ghIr} to be transitive. I can't explain why.)

Neither {ghIr} "descend" nor {Sal} "ascend" has ever been used in canon, so we don't know how they're used in Klingon.  Although I can't say Robyn's usage is wrong, tagging the place-stamp with {-Daq} could help:

  HuDHomDaq ghIrpu' targh.
  On the mountain, the targ descended.
  The targ descended down the mountain.

This sounds awkward in English, but maybe not in Klingon.  Some related verbs are {pum} fall, {chagh} drop, {Dej} collapse; antonyms include {Sal} ascend, {toS} climb & {pep} raise.  None of these work any better.

*{toSHa'} "climb down"(?) is an option, but like {ghIr} I don't know if {toS} is transitive.  It's only been used once by Okrand, without any context, on the old Star Trek Continuum website:

  jItoS
  I climb. KLS

> I am still impressed at how expressive Klingon can be when it is
> wielded properly.

Indeed.  Robyn has always been one of our best writers.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level