tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 22 11:31:15 2010

SV: tlhInganpu' ma'chu' lupwI' loH

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> Darin Arrick:
> We decided to use Klinzhai for simple transcriptions (e.g. "Gillespie
> Field", "Gaslamp Station") and KLI pIqaD for the actual translations into
> tlhIngan Hol to make the signs more visually interesting.  Think of it as
> putting some words in all caps or italics on English signs.

Interesting call on using Klinzhai for transcriptions; makes sense and adds some variety.
I've noticed that the glyph used for 'g' in such words as "Gaslamp" and "San Diego" appears to differ from the one used in this chart:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Klinzhai_alphabet.GIF
...while the rest appear to be the same.  Actually, I can't seem to find any glyph resembling the one you've used for 'g'.  Is there a reason for this?

Oh, and while I'm at it, I'd like to thank the San Diego Klingons - particularly the translators, but also the warriors who helped take the station - for putting on this wanI' Dun; as a person who can't be there physically, I'm glad they've attracted enough attention that I can this from home :)
There's now an article on cnn.com, by the way:  http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/07/21/klingons.sdcc/#fbid=E9Mpbf9snW9

P.S.  This is my first time posting to this mail-list, so please let me know if I've broken any unwritten rules (or missed any written ones). D.S.

Back to archive top level