tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 22 12:26:32 2010

RE: tlhInganpu' ma'chu' lupwI' loH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> We decided to use Klinzhai for simple transcriptions (e.g. "Gillespie
>> Field", "Gaslamp Station") and KLI pIqaD for the actual translations
>> into {tlhIngan Hol} to make the signs more visually interesting. Think
>> of it as putting some words in all caps or italics on English signs.

Felix:
>Interesting call on using Klinzhai for transcriptions; makes sense and
>adds some variety.
>I've noticed that the glyph used for 'g' in such words as "Gaslamp" and
>"San Diego" appears to differ from the one used in this chart:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Klinzhai_alphabet.GIF
>...while the rest appear to be the same.  Actually, I can't seem to find
>any glyph resembling the one you've used for 'g'.  Is there a reason for
>this?

"qurgh lungqIj" was our font expert and worked with the San Diego people on the actual appearance of the signs, so I'll let him answer your question.

>P.S.  This is my first time posting to this mail-list, so please let me
>know if I've broken any unwritten rules (or missed any written ones).

Welcome to the list Felix.  The rules are simple:  You can write about the Klingon language and the KLI in English or Klingon, but you must write about everything else (including Klingon fandom outside of the language) in {tlhIngan Hol}.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons