tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 26 10:58:16 2010

RE: House Titles

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Soqra'tIS:
> >> How would one compose a "House" title?
> >> Want to say "Leader of the mighty house of Raith" or something
> >> similar even just house of Raith
> >>    <tuq'a' Raith, joH> ??
> >>    <joH tuq'a' Raith> ??

Voragh:
>> There is no word for "be mighty", but you could say {tuq Dun}
>> "wonderful/great house" or {tuq Hos} "strong house".

lay'tel SIvten:
>Instead of "mighty" one could use {HoSghaj} (powerful), qar'a'?

KGT 5:  Some houses (that is, lineages) are more wealthy and powerful than others.

I've never really liked the strangely-formed quality {HoSghaj} "be powerful" but looking at how Okrand has used it it does seem the right word:

  HoSghajqu'
  Too potent! CK (i.e. Romulan Ale)

Also mentioned in CK in the section on expressing opinions of Klingon sites.

  vay' DaghIjlaHchugh bIHoSghaj
  Fear is power.

TKW 109:  The meaning of this saying, of course, is that one who has the ability to instill fear can exert control over those who are afraid; there is more to power than physical force.

KGT 129:  ... for a Klingon, a hammer is a symbol of power. The phrase {HoSghaj; mupwI' rur} ("powerful as a hammer") is based on this notion.

Yet another option is {qu'} "be great, be wonderful, be excellent, be superlative, be splendid (slang)" from KGT (p.159-161):

The verb {qu'} literally means "be fierce". In its slang sense, it may be used adjectivally, as in {taj qu'} ("excellent knife"; literally, "fierce knife"), or as the main verb in a sentence, as in {qu' taj} ("the knife is excellent"; literally, "the knife is fierce"). Though, from the Klingon point of view, equating being fierce with being great, wonderful, and so on seems quite natural, the slang meaning of {qu'} probably receives further support because it sounds just like the verb suffix {-qu'} [...] When applied to people or animals, it is not always clear whether the slang or nonslang meaning of {qu'} is intended. That is, {SuvwI' qu'} ("fierce warrior") could be interpreted literally, or it could mean "excellent warrior". When applied to anything other than people or animals, the slang meaning is more likely. Thus, {may' qu'} ("fierce battle") is really a way of saying "excellent battle". In Klingon, only a participant in a battle, not the battle itself, can literally be described as fierce. [...] Nonslang verbs expressing similar ideas are {Dun} ("be wonderful, great"), {pov} ("be excellent"), and, as an exclamation, {maj!} ("Good!").

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level