tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 25 13:37:58 2010

RE: House Titles

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Soqra'tIS:
>> How would one compose a "House" title?
>> Want to say "Leader of the mighty house of Raith" or something similar
>> even just house of Raith
>>
>>  <tuq'a' Raith, joH> ??
>>  <joH tuq'a' Raith> ??

There is no word for "be mighty", but you could say {tuq Dun} "wonderful/great house" or {tuq Hos} "strong house".

*[tuq'a'} has never been used by Okrand, although it's not out of the questions.  Note however that a *{tuq'a'} would be a "Great House" - that is a type of House superior to the other Houses (tuq} - for example, a ruling House, supreme over all the other Houses (e.g. that of the emperor).

KGT 5:  Some houses (that is, lineages) are more wealthy and powerful than others.

KGT 36-38:  Klingon society is a stratified one. That is, there are clear distinctions between those with great wealth and influence and those with little or none. This sort of status is a matter of inheritance. Among the higher classes, one is born into an ancestral unit known as a {tuq}, normally translated house. Some houses are particularly wealthy, controlling vast lands by means of armed forces loyal to the particular house. Other houses have far less influence and, for survival, often form alliances with the larger houses. Each house is led by the eldest male direct descendent of the previous leader (there are complex traditions dealing with what happens if there is no male heir), and the heads of the larger houses--that is, those with the greatest holdings and strongest forces-have seats on the Klingon High Council ({tlhIngan yejquv}), the body that rules the Empire. Since the number of seats on the Council is limited, many houses are not directly represented, are not as influential in Klingon society, and therefore occupy a slightly lower social position. In addition to wielding great political influence, members of the higher classes are also better educated than are others, particularly in the area of the arts.
    Houses routinely contribute troops, ships, and weaponry and go into battle to help advance the Empire's objectives. On the other hand, it is not unusual for the interests of the various houses and their leaders to be at odds with one another, leading to hostilities between houses, sometimes lasting generations Depending on a house's successes in any of these battles, its holdings--and therefore its overall influence in the society--may increase or decrease. A house's place in society may also be adversely affected by the behavior of its leadership. If the High Council determines an action to be dishonorable, not only may it remove the leader of a house from the Council itself, it may also seize the house's lands, forces, and other holdings.
    Though members of the lower levels of society may not identify themselves as members of a house, they usually have pledged loyalty to one. Typically, members of this class work as servants or perform duties necessary for the daily functioning of the Empire's undertakings. Many serve as members of a house's military forces.
    The Klingon military, of course, has a hierarchical structure of its own, with ranks and areas of authority spelled out explicitly. Various fleets and squadrons are loyal to various houses, though, as might be expected, the details of these alliances are subject to change. Within the Klingon Defense Force ({tlhIngan Hubbeq}), which includes the entire Klingon military apparatus, the highest officers tend to be members of influential houses, particularly the members of the ultimate military authority, the High Command ({ra'ghomquv}).

qurgh: