tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 06 12:29:13 2010

Re: qoSwIj

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

No.

If you ask someone what something is, and they reply that ÊIt is a
penÊ, ÊitÊ and ÊpenÊ are the same thing... The ÊitÊ doesnÊt magickally
stand for something else that you have to figure out...

This isnÊt a tautology, youÊre providing a label for the it...

Chris

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:21, Mark J. Reed <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Christopher Doty <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Well, in these non-verbal copular constructions in Klingon, I think
>> that the pronoun (whether it be ÊitÊ or not) is always referring to
>> the same thing as the ÊobjectÊ/predicate noun... ÂIn something like
>>
>> <qoSwIj 'oH>
>>
>> The ÊitÊ of <ÊoH> is referring to birthday--ÊIt is my birthday.Ê
>
> No, because then it would be a no-op, or at best a tautology. Saying
> that "my birthday is my birthday" tells us nothing. ÂThe "it" must be
> referring to something else, which the new sentence is equating with
> "my birthday".
>
> In the copula examples with a topicalized noun, that noun is the
> something else (e.g. "today" Âin "As for today, it is my birthday.")
> But in the examples without a topicalized noun, we're at something of
> a loss to identify what "it" stands for.
>
> So if it's raining, you say {SIS}. ÂBut could you legitimately, if
> unnecessarily, say {SIS 'oH}? ÂThat's the question...
>
> -marqoS
> --
> Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level