tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 06 09:46:17 2010

Re: qoSwIj

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

But in each case, regardless of the tangibility or concreteness of the
antecedent noun, there is one: something you can identify as the noun
that 'it' is standing for.  In a sentence like "Today, it is my
birthday", there is not really a noun that fits where the "it" is.
"Today, the day is my birthday"?  "Today, the date is my birthday"?

Instead, the "it" is just a place holder, because "Today, my birthday
is." doesn't work as an English sentence (unless it's  Yoda-speak for
"My birthday is today." - but there, "today" is a noun instead of an
adverb).

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>