tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 04 20:21:21 2010

Re: qoSwIj

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 19:40, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

> TKD defines "adverbial" to be a specific list of words, and {DaHjaj}
> isn't one of them.

Well, actually, TKD defines an adverbial a word that "usually come[s]
at the beginning of a sentence and describe[s] the manner of the
activity."  A list then follows, but nowhere does it say that this
list is complete or exhaustive.

> (Yes, it behaves as an
> "adverbial" in the general linguistic sense, but that's not what we're
> talking about here.)

What are we talking about, then?  The example you give from TKW
clearly has <DaHjaj> acting as an adverbial:

>    DaHjaj SuvwI''e' jIH.
>    Today I am a warrior. (TKW 203)

This is ungrammatical with everything we know about
predicate-nominals, unless <DaHjaj> is an adverbial...

Chris

Back to archive top level