tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 04 06:38:26 2010

RE: qoSwIj

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Seruq <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dor DIS.
>>
>> Dor - (v intrans) end (of a stretch of time (month))
marqoS:
>Hm.  I only knew {Dor} as "escort".   What's the source for that?
>I still think {rIn} fits, even if {Dor} is better.

"Generally, one expresses the end of a stretch of time by using a verb rather than a noun. That is, one says when the month ends rather than at the end of the month. The verb for this kind of end is {Dor}. For example:
  DorDI' jar mejpu'
  At the end of the month, he/she left.
(Literally, this sentence means "When the month ended, he/she left.") (HQ 12.2:8)

>> megh'an (n) end of an object that has discernible length
>> 'er'In Â(n) end of an object that has discernible length
>
>So what's the difference between the above?

Either word can refer to either end of a long rope, stick, etc..  Once you arbitrarily choose one end to call {megh'an} (or  {'er'In}), the OTHER end is called {'er'In} (or {megh'an}):

"On the other hand, if a bridge is under construction and lies halfway across a river or gorge or freeway, it may be said to have a {megh'an} (or {'er'In}). One could, in theory, hang a sign or flag from the {megh'an} (or {'er'In}), but one could walk on this incomplete bridge only as far as the {qa'rI'}." (HQ 12.2:8)

"For the end of a longish enclosed space that one is typically inside of or experiences from the inside, such as a corridor, tunnel, or conduit (say, a Jefferies tube or a branch of the sewers of Paris),a different word is used: {qa'rI'}. This is the only word; it's used for both (or all) ends." (HQ 12.2:7)

  naQ megh'an yI'uch.
  Grasp the end of the stick. (HQ 12.2)

  naQ megh'an yI'uchHa'.
  Let go of the end of the stick. (HQ 12.2)

  naQ megh'an 'er'In je tI'uch.
  naQ 'er'In megh'an je tI'uch.
  Grasp both ends of the stick.
 ("grasp the end and the other end of the stick") (HQ 12.2)

  naQ megh'an 'er'In ghap yI'uch.
  naQ 'er'In megh'an ghap yI'uch.
  Grasp either end of the stick.
  ("grasp the end or the other end of the stick") (HQ 12.2)

>> van  Â (v trans) end an event (voyage, song, story) which one
>            has some control of (unlike a month)
>> ghang  Â(v trans) end prematurely
>
>Cool subtlety in that distinction...

"When an event over which one has some control ends (one can't cause a month to end), a different verb is used: {van}. This would apply to such things as voyages, battles, plays, operas, stories, and songs. Here, the event (the voyage, the song) doesn't end; the participant in the event or the perpetrator of the event ends it.

  leng [lu]vanDI' SuvwI'pu' 'IQ chaH
  At the end of the voyage, the warriors are sad.
  ("When the warriors end the voyage, they are sad").

  bom [lu]vanDI' SuvwI'pu' tlhutlh chaH
  At the end of the song, the warriors drink.
  ("When the warriors end the song, they drink") (sic: {lu-} omitted))

Maltz said he wasn't sure whether {van} "end" and {van} "salute" were really the same word, but he found it interesting that Klingons end things by saluting them.
   "Another verb, {ghang}, is used to express the idea of a premature ending. If, using the same examples, the voyage is cut short or the song is interrupted before the final part is sung, one would say:

  leng [lu]ghangDI' SuvwI'pu' 'IQ chaH
  When the warriors end the voyage prematurely, they are sad.

  bom [lu]ghangDI' SuvwI'pu' tlhutlh chaH
  When the warriors end the song prematurely, they drink.

Note that the voyage and the song cannot end themselves. Someone has to end them. There is a difference between the end of the performance of a song or opera or play, indicated by  making use of the verbs {van} and {ghang}, and the ending, or final portion, of a song or opera or play itself. For an opera, play, story, speech, and so on, the final portion is its {bertlham}." (HQ 12.2:8)

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level