tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 05 09:53:15 2010

RE: qoSwIj

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

SuStel:
>> TKD defines "adverbial" to be a specific list of words, and {DaHjaj}
>> isn't one of them. It is a noun that can be used as a time stamp, not
>> an adverbial in the Klingon-language sense. (Yes, it behaves as an
>> "adverbial" in the general linguistic sense, but that's not what we're
>> talking about here.)

Chris:
>Well, actually, TKD defines an adverbial a word that "usually come[s]
>at the beginning of a sentence and describe[s] the manner of the
>activity."  A list then follows, but nowhere does it say that this
>list is complete or exhaustive.

On the list we usually call those introductory phrases "time stamps" or "place stamps" to get around the whole "adverbial" issue.

>What are we talking about, then?  The example you give from TKW
>clearly has <DaHjaj> acting as an adverbial:
>
>>    DaHjaj SuvwI''e' jIH.
>>    Today I am a warrior. (TKW 203)
>
>This is ungrammatical with everything we know about
>predicate-nominals, unless <DaHjaj> is an adverbial...

FYI Chris, Okrand discussed {Dahjaj} et al. on the old MSN Expert Forum mailing list: