tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 04 19:43:16 2010

Re: qoSwIj

On 1/4/2010 9:07 PM, Christopher Doty wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 16:45, Christopher Doty<[email protected]>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 14:45, David Trimboli<[email protected]>  wrote:
>>> The correct way to say "My birthday is today" is {DaHjaj 'oH qoSwIj'e'}.
>>> The {-'e'} is required in any "to be" sentence.
>>
>> Well, technically, the<-'e'>  is only required in sentences where the
>> subject is a full noun phrase as opposed to a pronoun, but yeah...
> Actually, this is interesting (linguistically, sorry), since<DaHjaj>
> could be construed as either an adverb or a subject...  Thus, it seems
> that both
>
> <DaHjaj qoSwIj 'oH>
>
> and
>
> <qoSwIj 'oH DaHjaj'e'>  are potentially valid.
>
> Anyone have examples of adverbials in predicate-nominal constructions?

TKD defines "adverbial" to be a specific list of words, and {DaHjaj}
isn't one of them. It is a noun that can be used as a time stamp, not an
adverbial in the Klingon-language sense. (Yes, it behaves as an
"adverbial" in the general linguistic sense, but that's not what we're
talking about here.)

I'm fairly certain there are no examples of actual adverbials in
sentences of this kind. {DaHjaj} does appear this way, however:

    DaHjaj SuvwI''e' jIH.
    Today I am a warrior. (TKW 203)

--
SuStel