tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 04 20:01:07 2010

Re: qoSwIj

On 1/4/2010 10:50 PM, Tracy Canfield wrote:
> 2010/1/4 David Trimboli<[email protected]>:
>> TKD defines "adverbial" to be a specific list of words
>
> Does it?  The phrasing is
>
> 5.4  Adverbials
>
> These words usually come at the beginning of a sentence and describe
> the manner of the activity.
>
> It seems like you're interpreting "these words" to refer to the list,
> but to me the phrase seems to refer to "adverbials".

Yes, if you look in the Addendum word list, you'll find {DaHjaj} is
translated "today (n)," but there are a bunch of words in the various
word lists that are translated with the note "(adv)," like {DaH} "now
(adv)."

I was not interpreting the phrase "these words."

Even if we consider that Klingon grammarians don't distinguish
"adverbials" as a part of speech, {DaHjaj} is a {DIp}, while all the
words in 5.4, and presumably all the words labeled "(adv)" or described
by Okrand as "adverbials," are {chuvmey}.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/

Back to archive top level