tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 14 13:15:02 2009

Re: nom*i*nal*ize 2. to convert (an underlying clause) into a noun phrase

Steven Boozer wrote:
> SuStel:
>> The other way to nominalize verbs in Klingon is with the suffix {-wI'}.
>>
>> tlhutlh       drink (v)
>> tlhutlhwI'    drinker (n)
>> tlhutlhpu'wI' someone who has drunk (n)
>>
>> There have been some doubts as to whether you can add other suffixes
>> between the verb and {-wI'}. There is nothing explicitly ruling it out.
>
> The only suffix MO has used with {-wI'} that I could find quickly was {-moH} (cause).
 > In fact, he's used it several times:
>
> bochmoHwI'  sycophant, flatterer (slang) KGT
> chenmoHwI'  creator, maker KGT
> najmoHwI'   lullaby KGT
> ngaDmoHwI'  stabilizer (component of a ship) KGT
> wovmoHwI'   light (device) KBOP
> yoymoHwI'   inverter (device) (Bill Willmerdinger, BabelCon 2, vetted by MO)

Right. Those people who object to [verb + suffix + -wI'] do so on the
basis that [verb + -moH] is a stem distinct from [verb].

> --
> Voragh
> Canon Master of the Klingons

Just a side-note: a proper signature-delimiter is dash-dash-space, not
just dash-dash. Without the space, compliant mail and news clients won't
recognize the signature as a signature.

SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH
http://trimboli.name/mush