tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 13 16:19:14 2009

nom·i·nal·ize 2. to convert (an underlying clause) into a noun phrase

qe'San \(Jon Brown\) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

I was just looking up nominalise on dictionary.com and got
nomilnalize
nom·i·nal·ize [nom-uh-nl-ahyz]
?verb (used with object), -ized, -iz·ing.

1.    to convert (another part of speech) into a noun, as in changing the adjective lowly into the lowly or the verb legalize into legalization.

2.    to convert (an underlying clause) into a noun phrase, as in changing he drinks to his drinking in I am worried about his drinking.

The question I have is does that apply to use of -ghach in Klingon?  I understand definition 1. but what about 2. ?

If so could I say, "he drinks" {tlhutlh} added with {-ghach} to get "his drinking" {tlhutlhghach} or even {bItlhutlhghach} for "your drinking"..

Or for "his drinking" would it be {tlhutlhghachDaj} and for "your drinking" {tlhutlhghachlIj}

In either case would you also need to add aspect?

I'm not specifically after using it.   It just struck me as something I'd never seen or noticed before and you know what they say about curiosity.

qe'San

Back to archive top level