tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 14 12:07:35 2009

RE: nom*i*nal*ize 2. to convert (an underlying clause) into a noun phrase

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

SuStel:
>The other way to nominalize verbs in Klingon is with the suffix {-wI'}.
>
>tlhutlh       drink (v)
>tlhutlhwI'    drinker (n)
>tlhutlhpu'wI' someone who has drunk (n)
>
>There have been some doubts as to whether you can add other suffixes
>between the verb and {-wI'}. There is nothing explicitly ruling it out.

The only suffix MO has used with {-wI'} that I could find quickly was {-moH} (cause).  In fact, he's used it several times:

bochmoHwI'  sycophant, flatterer (slang) KGT
chenmoHwI'  creator, maker KGT
najmoHwI'   lullaby KGT
ngaDmoHwI'  stabilizer (component of a ship) KGT
wovmoHwI'   light (device) KBOP
yoymoHwI'   inverter (device) (Bill Willmerdinger, BabelCon 2, vetted by MO)

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level