tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 14 13:22:18 2009

Re: Comparatives in sentences...

qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> As the subject says, can you use a comparative in a sentance?
> ***may'mey quvDaq Suv tlhIngan puj law' SoH puj puS....
>
> If not how would I say "A Klingon that is weaker than you can still fight in
> honorable battles"?
>
> There's probably a better way to say this, but I can't figure it out.

No, the noun phrases in a comparative statement cannot be noun phrases
in a regular sentence. That is, the comparative's "A" and "B" cannot be
the subject, object, or header of another sentence.

tlhIngan puj law' SoH puj puS, 'ach may' quv SuvlaH tlhInganvetlh.

I wonder, though, if you mean "honorably fight," not "honorable battles."

tlhIngan puj law' SoH puj puS, 'ach batlh may' SuvlaH tlhInganvetlh.

The feeling of English "anyway" is very difficult to achieve in Klingon,
as are hypothetical and subjunctive contexts.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level