tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 14 10:44:44 2009

Re: nom·i·nal·ize 2. to convert (an underlying clause) into a noun phrase

qe'San (Jon Brown) wrote:
> I was just looking up nominalise on dictionary.com and got
> nomilnalize nom·i·nal·ize [nom-uh-nl-ahyz] –verb (used with object),
> -ized, -iz·ing.
>
> 1.    to convert (another part of speech) into a noun, as in changing
> the adjective lowly into the lowly or the verb legalize into
> legalization.
>
> 2.    to convert (an underlying clause) into a noun phrase, as in
> changing he drinks to his drinking in I am worried about his
> drinking.
>
> The question I have is does that apply to use of -ghach in Klingon?

The other way to nominalize verbs in Klingon is with the suffix {-wI'}.

tlhutlh       drink (v)
tlhutlhwI'    drinker (n)
tlhutlhpu'wI' someone who has drunk (n)

There have been some doubts as to whether you can add other suffixes
between the verb and {-wI'}. There is nothing explicitly ruling it out.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level