tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 14:19:21 2009

Re: Double negatives

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

They are only grammatically incorrect in one variety of English that
has no native speakers.  The English taught in school is not the One
True English, and its rules are rarely followed outside of formal
writing.
  Every language has a grammar, whose rules are inside the heads of
its speakers and impossible to violate unintentiomally.  Native
Anglophones don't learn their native language in school.  What is
taught in English class is effectively a second language to every
student.  This shows in the emphasis on the written form, which is
necessarily artificial.
  It's misleading to refer to any utterance emitted by a native
speaker in normal conversation as grammatically incorrect.  Say rather
that it is nonstandard.
  Based on what Okrand says in TKD and elsewhere, Klingons have this
same dichtomy between actual use and prescriptivist rules. (As have
most human cultures; much of what we know of the history of Latin and
the Romance languages comes from harangues against the horrible
grammar of the common people.)  So it's reasonable to draw parallels.
But please don't make arguments that only work if you pretend that
every native English speaker incorrectly speaks their first language
:)

--
Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level