tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 11:21:40 2009

Re: Double negatives

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

ghunchu'wI' was explicitly referring to "Standard English", which I
take to mean the admittedly artificial formal written standard. Of
course many, perhaps most, natural varieties of English have examples
of negative concord, but most also have examples of two negatives
making a positive, e.g:

"Did you tell him?"
"I didn't not tell him..."

True, language isn't math - or, more appropriately, logic - but
applying logic to it's analysis is not "stupid"; I would instead call
it "linguistics".    Yes, silly prescriptivists have used the analogy
to justify an otherwise baseless prohibition, but their error lies
only in overgeneralization. The fact is that the analogy holds in some
cases.
  And using loaded terms like "stupid" isn't going to win you any
hearts and minds in your ongoing battle with ghunchu'wI'.  I know he's
not innocent of arguing ad hominem either, but continuing in that vein
will at best grow merely tiresome.

--
Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level