tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 19:50:45 2009

Re: Question about Klingon books (e.g., Gilgamesh et al.)

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

Well, the only thing I've found that I really have trouble with (that
is, can't explain away as being my issue because I'm new to the
language) is the translation of the fifth line on page 12.  The
English is "He discovered what which was unseen" and the Klingon is
<leghbe'lu'wI' tu' ghaH>.  Doesn't this mean "He found the unseer"?
Ought it not be <leghbe'lu'ghach> or <leghbe'lu'bogh wanI'>?  Or is
the passive/inverse meaning of -lu' take to its extreme here?

(Sidenote: is this how wanI' gets used? I've seen it here and in
Gigamesh, but it doesn't make sense with the phenomenon
translation...)

Chris

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 19:31, Michael Roney, Jr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Christopher Doty <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm wondering how y'all feel about the language used in these volumes.
>> ÂDoes it strike you as good Klingon, bad Klingon, intelligible but
>> weird, etc.?
>>
>> I ask because I'm starting to read Gilgamesh, and there are a couple
>> things that just seem weird to me. ÂI could be because I'm just not
>> all that familiar with Klingon, but some of them just seem downright
>> wrong.....
>
> It'd be helpful to know what you find wrong.
> Then we can address that particular issue.
> Off the top of my head, I can't think of any complaints.
>
> ~naHQun
>
> --
> ~Michael Roney, Jr.
> Professional Klingon Translator