tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 16:20:12 2009

Re: pu'jIn

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Christopher Doty <[email protected]> wrote:

> > This tends to
> > happen a lot when trying to come up with ways of
> translating scientific
> > or professional jargon. One should always try to
> eliminate hindsight
> > words from one's Klingon.
>
> Who? Why? Where? Does Okrand say this somewhere?  Or
> is this your own
> pearl of wisdom?

The KLI's strong opposition to anyone but Okrand coining new words (which is what a compund word would be but a N-N combination would not) is based on the practical recognition that, lacking a central authority like an Academe Klingonaise, this would quickly lead to mutually-unintelligible dialects in a community too small to sustain any, and also as a sign of respect to Marc Okrand.  Since the second reason involves humility, I don't expect you to understand it.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level