tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 14:20:38 2009
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Re: The topic marker -'e'
Christopher Doty (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- From: Christopher Doty <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: The topic marker -'e'
- Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:19:27 -0800
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=JkgQ35SrTycgJvhI9dIz3Rn6YYEP+rJjMu+mOUDICEc=; b=xYQp3JQNDUCBX2BdPVHOA6ErmhshFa6WQUImYWK3o2hp9ZARJkH4AMLUOF9WX0OD+R GvEhxrpN4yy58ogTo+FrLZI3dPC0ELxtZCcOu9GPAghxThZqOZSttvsMxg/T/pwHuc1l YViip5KZnEhXK91lqywOjMua7A1+bMOLBcp3k=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=HE5Hf95klV+6MiIC8XKPsXrxz232n+N5WMX3ZuQ5z8qVvjMHrOsKoTyZ2ntk+GbIEF TWSbXAU9hGINCrprrm9A7cHmD3B9WiGlkIcUJ1A6NOGfHZq05QzxyfPVDnNrxuU1skZD jcDBZRvRRvV9R2YrXL/NTZVHzNevr/+oPk5nI=
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <4B0C5075.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
You have got to be kidding, te'reS. Anytime anyone on this list asks
a question, certain individuals respond with a variety of diatribes or
insults instead of actually addressing the question asked. This
happened to me before anyone even knew I had a background in
linguistics, so you can hardly blame the response on just not liking
linguists (which is a completely stupid point of view to have,
anyway). It seems to me to be much more an issue of certain
individuals feeling threatened by questions, as it exposes to
themselves their own gaps in knowledge and understanding (whether
related to Klingon or linguistics in general). Rather than take that
opportunity to learn something, they shut down and just start shouting
obnoxious junk onto the list.
For example, I have been told that I should not use English words
(especially linguistic terms) which are not found in the TKD to talk
about Klingon, that the questions I ask are pointless, that I don't
understand linguistics, and that I don't understand Klingon because I
do understand linguistics.
I wonder if any of these small, nasty people have ever even considered
that they might not understand everything that they think they do....
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 13:57, Tracy Canfield <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> You know, I feel like I did my homework before I came onto this list,
> was careful to establish that I'd read the book and the FAQ and had a
> genuine reason to ask what I did, and I was greeted with a torrent of
> abuse directed at linguistics in general, my linguistic specialty in
> particular, and me personally. If y'all aren't getting along with the
> linguists who come by, maybe that has something to do with it.
> 2009/11/24 Terrence Donnelly <email@example.com>:
>> Maybe if the linguists didn't usually act so arrogant, we wouldn't. Linguists in general should probably take a look at Arika Okrent and her book, for an example of how a linguist can actually make her presence in Klindom a mutually-enjoyable event.
>> -- ter'eS