tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 23 13:50:25 2009

Re: Question about -wI'

Eric Koske ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Well, you *can* add {-wI'} to nouns, but it has a different meaning for
them.
It's the first-person possessive suffix for nouns who are beings capable of
language. ("my {x}")

{jup} = friend
{jupwI'} = my friend.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:19 PM, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

> Christopher Doty wrote:
> > Can -wI' go on nouns? Or does this mean that, as with many Klingon
> > words, the noun Hergh is identical to a verb with roughly the same
> > meaning, "administer medicine," and the verb Hergh is simply missing
> > from the dictionary?
>
> No, {-wI'} is only a verb suffix. There are some complex nouns that
> *look* like they're simple nouns plus {-wI'}, but we can't pull them
> apart and generalize new words or rules from them; we have to suppose
> that they're leftovers from Old Klingon, or some such, and just treat
> them as distinct complex nouns. See also TKD 3.2.2.
>
> --
> SuStel
> tlhIngan Hol MUSH
> http://trimboli.name/mush