tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 23 13:20:50 2009

Re: Question about -wI'

Christopher Doty wrote:
> Can -wI' go on nouns? Or does this mean that, as with many Klingon
> words, the noun Hergh is identical to a verb with roughly the same
> meaning, "administer medicine," and the verb Hergh is simply missing
> from the dictionary?

No, {-wI'} is only a verb suffix. There are some complex nouns that
*look* like they're simple nouns plus {-wI'}, but we can't pull them
apart and generalize new words or rules from them; we have to suppose
that they're leftovers from Old Klingon, or some such, and just treat
them as distinct complex nouns. See also TKD 3.2.2.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level