tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 27 15:43:33 2009

Re: Klingon translation

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jun 27, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Doq wrote:

> So far as I can remember, the only reason anyone has even tried to use
> a {'e'} to represent a question has been attempts to use question
> words as relative pronouns.

There's another reason.  I think the technical term is "indirect
question".

> If it were possible to use {'e'} to refer
> to a question, it would have to be some kind of construction not aimed
> at using the question word as a relative pronoun.

Here is such a construction:  "I know who stole the money."
Another: "I wonder when the rock will fall."

For expressing these in Klingon, I can see a teeny bit of merit in
trying to use a question and {'e'}.  It's something that the known
and uncontroversial Klingon grammar just doesn't handle.  I'm not
finding any justification for doing it in anything Okrand has
written, but I don't think it would contradict anything either.  In
English, the "who stole the money" and "when the rock will fall"
aren't asking a question.

(Note that these really are the English interrogatives and not the
often-identical-looking relative pronouns.  For a clear example of
the difference:  "I don't remember what he is wearing."  The word
used here is "what", not "that".)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level