tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 26 04:58:17 2009

Re: Klingon translation

Michael Everson wrote:
> I am doing a short translation. The text is well-known, but is
> syntactically complex in English. I have made a stab at the first
> sentence; my rendering of it came to two separate sentences in Klingon.
>
> How about if I give my translation here, without the original (which
> is well-known, but let's forget that) and see if it makes sense.
>
> Here it is:
>
> ’Iv HoS law’ ’Iv HoS puS, ’e’ ghoHtaHvIS SuS bIr Hov je, ghoSpu’
> lengwI’. wep tuj tuqtaH ghaH.
>
> What do you make of it?

"While the cold wind and the star argue that who is stronger, the
traveler has gone. He is [wearing] a hot jacket."

I don't recognize it. It's hard to advise if I don't know the concept
you're trying to get across. I'll just point out some of the biggest
errors without necessarily recommending a correction.

In the future, if you want the Beginners' Grammarian to correct your
grammar, add "KLBC" to the subject. But since you didn't...

It looks like you're trying to use {'Iv} as a relative pronoun, but it
doesn't work that way. Use /-bogh/ for that sort of thing. But here
you're apparently trying to say "arguing about who is stronger." "About"
prepositions in English are difficult to translate directly into
Klingon; you usually have to split it up into a couple of pieces.

You can't put a Type 7 verb suffix on a verb with /'e'/ as its object
(TKD p. 66), so you can't say {'e' <verb>taHvIS}.

{tuQ} "wear" has a capital {Q}.

--
SuStel

tlhIngan Hol MUSH