tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 12 09:51:42 2009

Re: vIl - be ridgy in HolQeD 13:1

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jul 12, 2009, at 12:33 PM, qe'San ((Jon Brown)) wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if  HolQeD 13:1 was also the first time that vIl
> was
> used?

It's the first time *I* saw it.  I try to keep a pretty good record
of sources, and what I have down for {vIl} is <HQ:v13n1p10>.

> QuchwIj pIm QuchlIj
> Your forehead is different to mine (i.e. different family)
>
> Although thinking about that sentence; can [pIm] be used like that
> or would
> I need to say that differently to get that meaning?

Based on {pIm} being glossed simply as "be different" and not as
"differ (from)", I wouldn't use it that way.  I'd say it like this:

   pIm QuchwIj QuchlIj je
   My forehead and your forehead are different.

I'd also be tempted to use {tuqvol} instead of {Quch} here, to help
suggest your parenthetical context.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level