tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 11 09:33:32 2009

Re: Questions with law'/puS

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jul 11, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Terrence Donnelly wrote:

> ...or just recently on this list discovered that you probably could
> use interrogative pronouns as one of the compared items.

I don't understand what you mean by "just recently on this list".  Do
you mean you've never noticed it used *here* before, or that this was
the first place you saw it *ever* used?  The grammar involved is
obvious and ought to be absolutely uncontroversial.  Not only does it
fail to contradict TKD, it *follows* TKD perfectly.  In {'Iv X law'
Hoch X puS}, {'Iv} does exactly what it does in {yuch Soppu' 'Iv} and
other such questions.  It fills the spot in the sentence where the
noun that answers the question goes.

This usage has been part of my understanding of Klingon language
since at least 1996.

> I'm not saying you definitely can use {-'a'} on {law'/puS}, just
> that I see no fundamental objection to it.

I see SuStel and Doq both objecting fundamentally to it.  I share
their objection.  In a comparative/superlative construction, {law'}
and {puS} don't act like verbs.  I just don't see them working with
verb suffixes, especially type 9 ones.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level