tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 02 08:11:53 2009

Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')

Michael Roney, Jr. ([email protected])

toH! I just thought of a reason on why *I* would support a reform!
Copyright/Trademark.

We are constantly talking about how Paramount/CBS "owns" the Klingon language, yet shouldn't be able to own the language.

Yes, they own the word "Klingon". Yes, they're willing to fight for it.

They /might/ own the word <tlhIngan>. None of us have decided to fight them for it.

They *do not* own the word "xifan".

I am unaware of ANY officially liscensed Trek product containing the word "xifan".

If Okrand, on his own and without any word from CBS, were to approve a reform, we could move away from the copyrighted system and onto a free system. Okrand's approval is necessary to prevent factions.

As long as "Klingon" is avoided, we're free.

Just a thought...

~naHQun

-Michael Roney, Jr.
Professional Klingon translator