tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 19 17:43:44 2009

Re: Alternatives to Code2000 PUA Klingon Font

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 20 Jul 2009, at 00:49, Thorwald Peeters wrote:

> <citaat van="Michael Everson">

> I have downloaded whatever is there... latest, I guess.

The lastest is there. It's version 2.0.3.

> I hope you saw the mail I sent to the KLI list.
> I am not sure what, if anything, I might be doing wrong/could do
> better.

I answered that...

> FontyPython (0.3.6) does not recognise the glyphs, and displays Latin.

You have to use text which uses the PUA code points to see Klingon.
The Latin letters have Latin glyphs.

> Same seems the case with FontForge (20080429)
> Also installed the "Open Font Design Toolkit (1.0-2)

Look at the whole table. At the bottom at FBD0 there will be pIqaD.

> FontForge gives me these errors for HaSta:
> The following table(s) in the font have been ignored by FontForge
>  Ignoring 'LTSH' linear threshold table
>  Ignoring 'VDMX' vertical device metrics table
>  Ignoring 'hdmx' horizontal device metrics table

Not significant. They are tables FontForge doesn't use.

> Warning: Mac and Windows entries in the 'name' table differ for the
>  Copyright string in the language Engels (US)
>  Mac String: Copyright (c) 2005 by Mike Neff (qa'vaj). Copyright (c)
> 2009
> by Michael Everson. All rights reserved.
>  Windows String: Copyright (c) 2005 by Mike Neff and Michael
> Everson. All
> rights reserved.

Not something that would affect performance.

> Warning: Mac and Windows entries in the 'name' table differ for the
>  Fullname string in the language Engels (US)
>  Mac String: Klingon pIqaD HaSta
>  Windows String: Klingonpiqadhasta

The latter is a "postscript" string. I wonder why FontForge thinks
it's "Windows" I'll look at that in the morning.

> The glyph named mu is mapped to U+00B5.
>  But its name indicates it should be mapped to U+03BC.
> The glyph named Delta is mapped to U+2206.
>  But its name indicates it should be mapped to U+0394.

Your version of FontForge is using Adobe glyph set recommendations
1.6, but my version of Fontlab is using 1.7, and anyway this affects
and â.