tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 02 09:10:17 2009

RE: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
>toH! I just thought of a reason on why *I* would support a reform!
>Copyright/Trademark. [...] Yes, they own the word "Klingon". Yes,
>they're willing to fight for it.

Of course they are.  "Klingon" is a registered trademark, just like "Star Trek".  They've even warned us in Klingon:

  TM, (r) (c) je tera' DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-loS Paramount Pictures. Hoch SeH.
  Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je.
  bIH lo' SkyBox International, Inc. 'e' chaw'. TM, (r) c.1994

  Paramount Pictures. All rights reserved. "Star Trek" and related
  marks are trademarks of Paramount Pictures. SkyBox International,
  Inc. Authorized user. (SkyBox Copyright)

Take a look at the books published by Simon & Schuster and you'll see that both words are followed by the little circled R (R) indicating a registered trademark IIRC.

>They /might/ own the word <tlhIngan>. None of us have decided to fight
>them for it.  They *do not* own the word "xifan".  I am unaware of ANY
>officially licensed Trek product containing the word "xifan".
>
>If Okrand, on his own and without any word from CBS, were to approve a
>reform, we could move away from the copyrighted system and onto a free
>system. Okrand's approval is necessary to prevent factions.

<<tlhIngan> tlhach <xifan>> tlhach je Daqelbe'ba'!
Not counting the tlhIngan and xifan factions, of course!

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level