tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 14 11:50:14 2009

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

RE: Facebook in Klingon

Steven Boozer (

Well there's {yergho} "city wall, wall around a walled city" (< Jericho, esp. the Hebrew pronunciation) and {beb} "roof" (< Babe Ruth).  I don't know about other puns, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Canon Master of the Klingons

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [] On
>Behalf Of Krenath
>Heh. Just noticed the wordplay in <<pa' reD>>
>One Spanish word for wall is "pared"
>So I expect the rest to have puns in them as well though I don't see
>them myself.
>On Dec 14, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Steven Boozer <>
>> De'vID:
>>>>                  or, in the more specialized terminology of sites
>>>> like Facebook, how to express "Wall-to-Wall" or "Friend Request"? I
>>> What are the canonical references to the terms <reD> and <tlhoy'>
>>> (<pa' reD>, <chevwI' tlhoy'>, <pIn tlhoy'>)?
>> Here's Okrand's post:
>> ----------------------------------------
>> From: Marc Okrand <...>
>> Newsgroups: startrek.klingon
>> Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 00:55:46 -0500
>> Subject: Re: walls
>> TPO [DloraH] wrote ...
>>> I'm working on a literary piece that makes many references to a wall
>>> or walls.  Any ideas how I can handle this? (recast, metaphor, ...)
>> Actually, there are several words referring to "wall":
>> An interior wall (such as a wall separating your living room from your
>> kitchen) is a tlhoy'.
>> An exterior wall (that is, a wall which separates the inside of a
>> building
>> from the outside) is a reD.
>> For the interior side of an exterior wall, it is quite common to use
>> tlhoy', but the phrase pa' reD, literally "room's exterior wall"
>> (pa' "room") is also heard, referring to the wall in a room which
>> faces
>> outside (as opposed to the other walls in the room whose other sides
>> are
>> still indoors).
>> The wall around a city is a yergho, which is apparently derived from
>> yer "domain, holdings, territory" plus gho "circle."
>> A wall which divides a territory into parts (such as the Berlin
>> Wall) is
>> also called a tlhoy', even though neither side of it is the interior
>> of
>> a structure.  On occasion, for clarity, such a wall is termed a
>> chevwI'
>> tlhoy' "separator wall") or a pIn tlhoy', literally "boss wall,"
>> presumably
>> dating back to a time when each subterritory had a specific person
>> in charge.
>> The phrase pa' tlhoy' "room's interior wall" is also heard from time
>> to
>> time, but usually only when it is necessary to distinguish the
>> "interior
>> wall" sense of tlhoy' from the "separator wall" sense.
>> A tlhoy' "interior wall" need not be vertical.  In a multistory
>> structure, the stories are separated by what Klingon architects and
>> builders call a tlhoy' SaS "horizontal wall".  The side of this "wall"
>> which is the bottom of the upper story is the rav "floor"; the side
>> which is the top of the lower story is the rav'eq "ceiling" (based
>> on rav "floor" plus 'eq, an element otherwise unknown (there is no
>> evidence it is connected to 'eq "be early").
>> rav "floor" is also used for the floor of a room on ground level (or a
>> basement floor, for that matter), even though there is no
>> corresponding
>> rav'eq and no tlhoy' SaS.
>> Similarly, though in general rav'eq "ceiling" refers to the ceiling
>> of a
>> room that has a room above it, it may also be used for the ceiling
>> of a
>> room on the top floor, even though there is no corresponding rav and
>> no
>> tlhoy' SaS.  On occasion, though, the ceiling of the top floor is
>> called
>> pa' beb, literally "room's roof" (from pa' "room" plus beb "roof").
>> The term beb refers to the covering on top of a structure.
>> Hope this helps your story.
>> ----------------------------------------
>> --
>> Voragh
>> Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level