tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 14 11:23:12 2009

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: Facebook in Klingon

Krenath (

Heh. Just noticed the wordplay in <<pa' reD>>

One Spanish word for wall is "pared"

So I expect the rest to have puns in them as well though I don't see  
them myself.

On Dec 14, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Steven Boozer <>  

> De'vID:
>>>                  or, in the more specialized terminology of sites
>>> like Facebook, how to express "Wall-to-Wall" or "Friend Request"? I
>> What are the canonical references to the terms <reD> and <tlhoy'>  
>> (<pa'
>> reD>, <chevwI' tlhoy'>, <pIn tlhoy'>)?
> Here's Okrand's post:
> ----------------------------------------
> From: Marc Okrand <...>
> Newsgroups: startrek.klingon
> Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 00:55:46 -0500
> Subject: Re: walls
> TPO [DloraH] wrote ...
>> I'm working on a literary piece that makes many references to a wall
>> or walls.  Any ideas how I can handle this? (recast, metaphor, ...)
> Actually, there are several words referring to "wall":
> An interior wall (such as a wall separating your living room from your
> kitchen) is a tlhoy'.
> An exterior wall (that is, a wall which separates the inside of a  
> building
> from the outside) is a reD.
> For the interior side of an exterior wall, it is quite common to use
> tlhoy', but the phrase pa' reD, literally "room's exterior wall"
> (pa' "room") is also heard, referring to the wall in a room which  
> faces
> outside (as opposed to the other walls in the room whose other sides  
> are
> still indoors).
> The wall around a city is a yergho, which is apparently derived from
> yer "domain, holdings, territory" plus gho "circle."
> A wall which divides a territory into parts (such as the Berlin  
> Wall) is
> also called a tlhoy', even though neither side of it is the interior  
> of
> a structure.  On occasion, for clarity, such a wall is termed a  
> chevwI'
> tlhoy' "separator wall") or a pIn tlhoy', literally "boss wall,"  
> presumably
> dating back to a time when each subterritory had a specific person  
> in charge.
> The phrase pa' tlhoy' "room's interior wall" is also heard from time  
> to
> time, but usually only when it is necessary to distinguish the  
> "interior
> wall" sense of tlhoy' from the "separator wall" sense.
> A tlhoy' "interior wall" need not be vertical.  In a multistory
> structure, the stories are separated by what Klingon architects and
> builders call a tlhoy' SaS "horizontal wall".  The side of this "wall"
> which is the bottom of the upper story is the rav "floor"; the side
> which is the top of the lower story is the rav'eq "ceiling" (based
> on rav "floor" plus 'eq, an element otherwise unknown (there is no
> evidence it is connected to 'eq "be early").
> rav "floor" is also used for the floor of a room on ground level (or a
> basement floor, for that matter), even though there is no  
> corresponding
> rav'eq and no tlhoy' SaS.
> Similarly, though in general rav'eq "ceiling" refers to the ceiling  
> of a
> room that has a room above it, it may also be used for the ceiling  
> of a
> room on the top floor, even though there is no corresponding rav and  
> no
> tlhoy' SaS.  On occasion, though, the ceiling of the top floor is  
> called
> pa' beb, literally "room's roof" (from pa' "room" plus beb "roof").
> The term beb refers to the covering on top of a structure.
> Hope this helps your story.
> ----------------------------------------
>> Also, might there be a culturally more appropriate rendition of
>> "wall-to-wall" that conveys the meaning without using the "wall"
>> terminology?  (Might a Klingon, for example, decorate another's  
>> <Ha'quj>
>> or hang a <no' DIr> rather than post to a "wall"?)
>> One problem I can see with translating some of FB's messages is  
>> that they
>> might need to be significantly rephrased to be more Klingon-like or
>> verb-centric.  For example, for "You have N friend requests",  
>> something
>> like <jupchaj Damoj 'e' lupoQ N nuvpu'> might be better than a  
>> literal
>> translation.
> I've never seen FaceBook, but how about using *{jup bey'} "friend  
> display"?  See:
> bey'         ceremonial display KGT
> betleH bey'  bat'leth Display KCD
> nuH bey'     Pride of Weapons (a ceremonial display of weapons) KCD
> quv bey'     Honor Display (a ceremonial display of weapons) KCD
> -- 
> Voragh
> Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level