tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 02 16:12:16 2009

Re: Cogito ergo sum (was RE: Numbers with pronouns)

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

Ah, okay, I see what you mean.  With the first one, <ngaQ lojmIt>, one
could equally well say <lojmIt vIgnaQpu'>; that is, "I've 'locked in'
the outcome, made only one outcome possible'", yes?

So you were saying that this same sort of stripped down citation form
might be what is showing up in Hamlet?  Hmm... I kind of like that, as
if it's referring to the concept, the idiom itself, rather than any
specific person...  One wonders if, assuming this is the case, it can
show up in other circumstances.  To reference, e.g., "saluting the
stars" as a concept, rather than a specific individual doing it, could
we have just <Hovmey van>...

Back to archive top level