tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 24 07:54:32 2009

Health (Was "The health of the Klingon language vs the health of the KLI")

Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

SaleghneS.
naHQun brings up some very valid points, and my personal ill health
and recent medical emergencies
have further contributed to the situation (specifics of which can be
found on my LJ, if you're so inclined).

That said, let me address a few items:

1) qep'a'

There will indeed be a qep'a'. The dates are from Wednesday evening,
July 22nd through Sunday morning,
July 26th. I expect to have the location and room rates locked in
within the next few days (possibly the next
couple of hours).

2) Worlds of Translation

This project is near and dear to my heart, and I would very much like
to see it come to fruition. We have a
number of stories already completed, but I have run out of ideas for
motivating people to finish up where
that's needed. We're currently three months out from the qep'a', so
perhaps some of you will jump in, and
use this as an excuse/means to revitalize not only this project but
also the discussion here on the list.

3) The Merchant Page

Thanks to the efforts of Alan Anderson, a limited form of the
Merchant Page has been up for months. It's
my hope that it will expand to include more of its former glory
(especially as I have a basement full of back
issues of HolQeD), but as with most things at the KLI that remains a
function of the time the relevant
volunteers have to devote to the tasks.

4) HolQeD

A decision was made at a qep'a' several years ago to cease publishing
HolQeD. The ability to put out a
quality quarterly was in doubt, and I did not want to reduce this
proud journal to a "newsletter." At that same
time, several people stepped forward with the idea of maintaining an
actual newsletter instead, but that
never seems to have gotten off the ground.

5) jatmey

I would very much like to see a revival of jatmey. However, the
amount of original poetry and/or fiction being
generated in Klingon is at a low, at least as far as I am aware.

However, I am feeling inspired, and I am at work on a "secret
project" which I hope to reveal here on the list at
least a mont (possibly two) prior to the qep'a'. It will be in the
tradition of jatmey, but also somewhat grander
and more ambitious by far. You might ask, "why attempt something new
and bigger, when we haven't been
able to do the old and familiar?" and I think that's a fair question.
The answer can be found in the song, "'Iv maH,"
and I think that's as sufficient an answer as needs be provided. If
I've tickled your curiosity, keep reading this list
and wait for the announcement.

6) Other challenges

I was recently approached by a fiction publisher with a question
about Twitter and Klingon. My answer is going
to involve a new activity for the qep'a'. I cannot reveal more at
this time, but I think it will challenge all the
attendees and make for some interesting fun.

7) Maintaining the Community

We all are familiar with the proverb, "mataHmeH maSachnIS," and
indeed, I've used that as the theme for many
an editorial in the years of HolQeD. It remains true today. When we
began, there was no twitter, no facebook, no
world wide web at all. In less than 20 years, the technological world
has exploded around us, and for much of
that time, we expanded with it. This list is one such example. The
KLI's MUSH is another. I'd like to see us go
further. I'd like to begin exploring the possibility of developing a
Klingon speaking community in a place such
as Second Life.

On a related note, this would have the added possibility of allowing
more people to participate (albeit virtually)
in some or all of the qep'a'. I suspect we have the hardware to make
this happen. I know we have the skill sets
and brain power. I challenge those of you with expertise and
experience in this area to begin a discussion
thread here on the list, and prepare to bring this about.

That's enough for now. I'm curious to see what (if any) this post
generates. That alone will tell me quite a bit
about the health (or not) of this organization, and the desires,
motivations, and interests of its membership.

taHjaj wo',

Lawrence M. Schoen, Ph.D.
http://www.lawrencemschoen.com
Author / Publisher / Psychologist / Klingonist

Back to archive top level