tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 09 15:02:13 2008

RE: Help with a project

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Tue, 9/9/08, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> ter'eS:
> > Isn't a {Supghew} a kind of {HurDagh}?  It's
> the smallest of the family,
> > according to KGT, the best suited for playing on a
> roof.
>
> Yes, it is:
>

> I simply meant that I don't think it was necessary to
> actually state which of these it is in the interests of
> keeping the title short.

oh, DaH vIyaj. I wasn't sure if "strummer" carried the full meaning that "fiddler" does.  Maybe I'll use {Supghew} once and then just stick with {yachwI'}.

> > Now, how would you translate "prayer shawl"?
>  So far, I'm going with
> > {quvmoHmeH mopHom}.
>
> {ngup} "cape" might be somewhat closer physically
> than {mop} "robe" in the absence of a word for
> sheet or blanket.  {qatwI'} "something that
> wraps/encases" might be a better description WRT to the
> ritually protective function of a *talit" (or *talis*)
> though.

I was actually more concerned about using {quvmoHmeH}!  I do like {ngup}, though.

> > And the "blessing for the Tzar" is the
> {tsarvaD quvmoHmeH SoQ}.
>
> Drop {-vaD}.  None of our examples uses it:

Good point.

> Why didn't you use {wo'} or {voDleH}?  A tsar is an
> emperor not just a king (in fact, it's just the Russian
> version of Kaiser, Caesar).  I'd choose {voDleH}, if
> only because it's slightly more exotic sounding.

I'm deliberately keeping words like 'kopek', 'rabbi' and 'tsar' because this isn't a Klingon play, it's a play about Russian Jews performed for a Klingon audience. OTOH, you could then argue that the first character on stage should be called a {vI'o'lIn} player, so I'm not totally consistent.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level