tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 09 14:34:50 2008

RE: Help with a project

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ter'eS:
> My latest project is {bebDaq ba'taHbogh Supghew yachwI'},

[Okrand]:
>   Each string is a {SIrgh} ... To produce music, one may either pluck
>   ({pang}) or strum ({yach}, which also means "stroke" or "pet") the
>   strings. The tone produced is varied by touching the string or strings
>   at various points while plucking or strumming. The verb used for this,
>   perhaps translatable as to "finger", is the same as the one used for
>   wind instruments: {Heng}.  {KGT 76]

And let's not forget {chu'} "play (a musical instrument)":

  There are special words used to describe the various techniques
  employed in playing specific instruments, but the general term
  for "play a musical instrument" is {chu'}, which, when applied
  to technologically advanced devices, including weapons, means
  "activate". Indeed, out of context, {jan chu'} could mean either
  "activate the device" or "play the instrument", which may be why
  {QoQ jan} (musical instrument) is seldom shortened to simply
  {jan}. When the context is clearly musical, a player,--that is,
  one who plays a musical instrument--is a {chu'wI'}, though more
  specific terminology may also be used, depending on the instrument
  being played.   [KGT 74]

Thus {Supghew chu'wI'} could be a "fiddle player".

ter'eS:
> Isn't a {Supghew} a kind of {HurDagh}?  It's the smallest of the family,
> according to KGT, the best suited for playing on a roof.

naHQun:
>> Yes, but the first Terran counterpart to come to mind is the 'ukulele.

I'm told that a ukulele is named for the flea-like jumping movement of the player's fingers.  The Hawaiian word for flea is *'uku lele* "jumping bug" -- which is the origin of the pun: {Sup} "jump" (v.) + {ghew} "bug" (n.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level