tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 09 13:17:21 2008

RE: Help with a project

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Tue, 9/9/08, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> > My latest project is {bebDaq ba'taHbogh Supghew
> yachwI'},
>
> "{Supghew} strummer while he's sitting on the
> roof"
> Catchy, pithy title.  <g>
>
> I'd drop {Suqghew}, as {yach} "pet, stroke, strum
> (a stringed instrument)" implies some king of {HurDagh}
> "stringed instrument".

Isn't a {Supghew} a kind of {HurDagh}?  It's the smallest of the family, according to KGT, the best suited for playing on a roof.

> > yente (the matchmaker) - middle-aged woman
>
> How did you translate "matchmaker"?  It seems
> there are several options:  *{tlhogh chenmoHwI'},
> *{naymoHwI'}, *{SawmoHwI'}, etc.

I was going out on a limb with {nal SamwI'}, although I also like {tlhogh chenmoHwI'}.

Now, how would you translate "prayer shawl"?  So far, I'm going with {quvmoHmeH mopHom}. And the "blessing for the Tzar" is the {tsarvaD quvmoHmeH SoQ}.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level