tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 16 14:36:14 2008

Re: Earthlings DVD (was qep'a')

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On May 16, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Doq wrote:

> Anyway, I'm surprised that nobody has posted this to You-Tube yet.

YouTube limits clips to a very few minutes.  It doesn't accommodate
longer videos.

> I did find http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwkW0JLiAe0
> [...]
> It was really frustrating to hear what seemed like such well-
> pronounced Klingon phonemes, yet to be so unable to make sense of
> it...
>
> Anyway, it's beautiful sounding, but I can't make sense of it. Does
> someone else have a transcription that makes more sense?

I know exactly where to find the text, but I'm going to do it "the
hard way" and write down what I hear first:

   Dochchugh HemwI' ruv mImlu'
   qechrup patlh 'oy'moH buSHa'ghach 'Il buvHa'lu'bogh
   quvwI'pu' tuv quvHa'bogh quvHa'wI'pu'

"If a proud one is rude justice is delayed. Sincere ignorance which
is misclassified hurts the status of a [qechrup]. The dishonored ones
who dishonor the patient honored ones..."

Now to go to the source:

   Dochchu' HemwI'; ruv mImlu'; tIchrup patlh;
   'oy'moH muSHa'ghach 'Il vuvHa'lu'bogh;
   quvwI'pu' tuv quvHa'moH quvHa'wI'pu';

   (Hamlet, lut 'ay' wej, lut 'ay'Hom wa')

"The proud one is perfectly rude; justice is delayed; rank is ready
to insult; sincere hatred which is respected causes pain; dishonored
ones dishonor the patient honored ones."

I was pretty close.

(By the way, the next line is {qatlh Hochvam lajqang vay'} "Why would
anyone accept all of this?")

Back to archive top level