tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 16 11:27:12 2008

Re: Earthlings DVD (was qep'a')

Doq ([email protected])

Warning:

Many computers and DVD Players will allow you to play movies from
different regions a few times, then they lock to one region and you
can't play anything else in them. They usually warn you that they are
doing this.

Anyway, I'm surprised that nobody has posted this to You-Tube yet.

I did find http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwkW0JLiAe0

It's a trailer for the movie (which stinks, since it is so hard to buy
the movie). I'm puzzled by the one close-up of someone's mouth while
he does a pretty good job of pronouncing Klingon, though I couldn't
quite understand all that he said.

While the subtitle said:

The opressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of disprized love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,

My attempt at transcribing what he said is limited, especially around
the syllable {'Iv}, when he spits out syllables faster than I can
quite follow:

Dochchu' ghemwI'  ("My language-capable midnight snack is perfectly
rude")

ruv memlu' ("One formulates justice")

tej ru' patlh 'oy'moH muSHa'ghach 'Iv muSHa'lu'bogh.

"Unhatred's who, whom one loves, harms the rank of the temporary
scientist?" (This is a question with the answer being the name of the
person possessed by unhatred, who is inflicting pain on the rank of
the temporary scientist. Oh, and somebody loves him. Or her.)

puvwI' qu' tuv, quvHa'moH quvHa'wI'pu'.

"The dishonored ones dishonor the fierce, patient flyer."

Surely, I misunderstand. I don't get either the Klingon OR the
English, and I certainly don't understand how the two relate to one
another.

It was really frustrating to hear what seemed like such well-
pronounced Klingon phonemes, yet to be so unable to make sense of it...

Hmmm. I went back and reworked this. His {S} sound is a lot more
subtle than I'm used to. It's almost like the "j" in the French
"jour". I initially mistook it for a botched {j}. THOSE initial
translations were even MORE bizarre and had even less to do with the
English subtitles.

Anyway, it's beautiful sounding, but I can't make sense of it. Does
someone else have a transcription that makes more sense?

Doq

On May 16, 2008, at 12:11 AM, Tad Stauffer wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 5:26 PM, ghunchu'wI' <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> On May 15, 2008, at 1:13 AM, Tad Stauffer wrote:
>>
>>> þ H¶XPºö«ÿÿè ò#{únÿÿÿý+'½¨ÿü6...
>>
>> ngoqvam Damughqang'a'?
>>

> De' pegh vI'angmeH vIttlhegh vIloStaH :-)
>
> I successfully bought a copy of the DVD at amazon.co.uk through one of
> their third-party merchants, although it looks like the merchant I
> used no longer has the item in stock. There is another merchant
> listed, blahdvd, although they apparently don't ship internationally
> through amazon.co.uk. Instead, they told me that you can order
> Earthlings from their website, with a £1.00 postage charge for
> shipping to the USA:
> http://www.blahdvd.com/Blah/DVD_Product.aspx/---Earthlings---?productid=DVD-SWIPE001-26
>
> Please note that this DVD is labeled Region 2 PAL (DVDs in the United
> States are Region 1 NTSC), so it might not play on your DVD player.
> When I tested my copy of the DVD, it did not work in my roommate's DVD
> player nor on my parents' DVD player. However, it played fine on my
> computer, on my roommate's X-Box 360, and on my father's laptop
> computer. If you're afraid you won't be able to play the DVD, you can
> always come to the qep'a' and watch it there!
>
> -Tad

Back to archive top level