tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 14 14:41:02 2008

Re: BOP Poster still available?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> > Voragh:

> > ghunchu'wI':
> >
> > Voragh:
> >
> > ghunchu'wI':
> >> Then you should look at it again and correct your notes.  The cargo
> >> tranporter is not depicted as a crane.  As I said in Klingon,  "It
> >> does not label the cargo transporter.  It just names it."
>
>Voragh:
> > And the difference being...?

Doq:
>It appears that voragh believes that the poster shows a crane-line
>device and gives us the term {tep jolpat} and assumes that the term
>refers to the crane-like device. ghunchu'wI' feels uncomfortable
>making that assumption, since the term could well refer to a
>transporter pad near the crane-like device. He points out that the
>crane-like device doesn't have any arrows pointing to it labeling it
>as {tep jolpat}.
>
>Am I depicting correctly what each of you is trying to tell the other?

Now I see what the confusion is...  Apparently my note about the crane,
which I pasted from the entry in my Annotated Klingon Dictionary, got
inserted into the wrong sentence in my post.  It actually refers to the
{tepqenqwI'}:

   {tep jolpat}  cargo transporter (n) KBoP
     - tep jolpat: wa' Cargo Transporter ? 1. KBoP

   {tepqengwI'}  cargo lift (n) KBoP (a type of crane on the drawing?)

   {tepqengwI'}  cargo carrier (n) TKD ["Space ship primarily used to
      transfer goods from one location to another." (KLS)] (cf. {tongDuj}
      freighter & {SuyDuj} merchant ship)

I'll have to dig the poster out of my closet when I get home tonight, but I
believe there's both a cargo transporter {tep jolpat} as well as a cargo
lift {tepqengwI'} on the cargo deck {tep choQ}.  I called it a "crane" in
my notes because that's what it is in essence:  a "mechanical lifting
device, often used for lifting heavy loads for industrial or construction
purposes" (cf. Wiktionary).  IIRC it was a waist-high (?) projector-type
device - possibly a small, portable tractor beam used for moving cargo
{tep} around.  You could also think of it as a 24th-century version of a
forklift.  Again IIRC there was a similar waist-high tractor beam projector
seen on the Enterprise-D's shuttlecraft deck in a couple of TNG episodes.

BTW {tepqengwI'} is also glossed "cargo carrier" in TKD which may be a type
of ship - perhaps used to ferry cargo down from an orbiting {tongDuj} or
{SuyDuj}?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons